1 box lemon cake mix
1 box (3 oz. size) lime-flavored gelatin
¾ cup milk
1/3 cup Key lime juice
1/3 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Key Lime Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons Key lime juice
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla (or just pour however much you would like)
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
Toppings (all are optional)
– Grated lime peal
– 1 small package green fondant (fondant clovers)
– 12- 24 Lime slices
• Kneed green fondant till soft and manageable. Cover working space, mound of fondant, and rolling pin with a dusting of corn starch. Roll out fondant until about ¼ inch thick then using clover cookie cutter cut out shapes and set aside.
• 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
• In large bowl, beat cupcake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
• 2 Bake 15-19 to minutes (all ovens bake differently) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack to finish cooling.
• With toothpick pierce tops of cupcakes in several places.
• In small bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar and enough of the 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice until glaze is smooth. Take a basting brush or spoon and glaze the tops of cupcakes. Set cupcakes aside.
• In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar until mixed; beat on medium speed until fluffy. Frost cupcakes using a pastry bag and frosting tip or by mounding and swirling frosting in center. Garnish with grated lime peel, lime slices or fondant clovers Store covered in refrigerator.
Recipe provided by Brittany Brown of Bunny Cakes